Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Things.

Before we get into this I must state that I pray this is not simply a blog for believers. While I do hope that believers will read and be encouraged by the living and abiding word of God, I also pray that as a skeptic, you read these words and test me on them as an intellectual. The things of eternity hold too much merit for any individual to remain uninformed. Even the choice to believe in nothing is to believe in something, and should the something you believe in truly be nothing, than upon further examination I think you’ll find yourself guiltier of intellectual apathy and cowardliness than anything else.

Also, I want to warn you from the onset of this post that it may be a bit lengthy, and somewhat dense if I’m not too careful, but by the end of the read I pray we’ll find ourselves, myself included, enlightened by the glory of the Word.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:19-21 ESV)

“If then you have been raised with Christ seek the things that are above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.” (Colossians 3:1-2 ESV)

If we are completely and wholly honest with ourselves, I believe we’ll find that we fight these verses with every single bit of our flesh. We WANT things of the earth, and things of the flesh. Whether it be items that simply detract our eyes from his glory, things of this world that the God of the universe has distinctly sanctified us from, things that are good inside of boundaries of which we cross, or lastly good things that the Lord of creation wants to bless us with that we seek before seeking him.

“Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into this world, and we can bring nothing out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and found themselves pierced with many pangs.” (1 Timothy 6:6-10 ESV)

In a society of things, we find our eyes allured by pretty things. Even more so, it becomes all the more difficult not to pursue nice things when our society tells us that our identity is defined by them. Yet, in my pursuit of what that world has to offer me, I have found nothing but disappointment. You may oppose me in this point, but I would argue that you simply haven’t felt true joy in light of the risen Son. Yes. The things of this world have enticed me, and have been pleasing. Yet: “The world is passing away along with it’s desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.” (1 John 2:17 ESV) Outside of the God-man on the tree, and risen, this world will never fulfill us.

“Put to death therefore whatever is earthy in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.” (Colossians 3:5)

Simply put, we desire things of which the Lord has simply stated that we are not to partake in. Sexual immorality. Lust. Passion. The world glistens and shines, and in it we think we find our joy. Yet if we examine the scriptures closer I believe we’ll find the point behind the tree in the Garden of Eden was simply an example of the Lord’s voice resonating: “Pure and total submission to me leads to pure joy.” I am happiest and most fulfilled when I sit in the center of his good and perfect will, and I charge all of us to pursue his will enough to test those words.

Speaking of the garden I think that it is important to state that at the fall, creation fractured. What was once meant to lead us to worship shifted and leads us to sin. The fall took God’s perfect creation and distorted its’ focus. In the garden sex, food, and wine led Adam and Eve to inspect the goodness of the gift and worship God because of it. Post-fall instead of leading us to worship, sex leads to lust, food leads to gluttony, and wine to drunkenness. We must stay within the boundaries marked by the fall.

“Truly, truly I say to you, you are seeking me not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves.” (John 6:26 ESV)

I am convinced that many times we inspect the blessings of the Lord, and immediately start to worship the blessing. This becomes muddled in our mind, because we truly seek something that is good and praiseworthy, and clearly from the Lord. Yet anywhere, anytime, that an object of creation is worshiped over the creator, idolatry occurs. We see this perfectly displayed in the life of Abram in Genesis 15. The Lord says to Abram: “Fear not, Abram, I am your shield; your reward will be very great.”

Abram’s first response? “Oh Lord God, what will you give me…” The things he has given us were not meant to be worshiped, but simply to lead back to the worship of the Father.

“…Whoever gathered much had nothing left over, and whoever gathered little had no lack.” (Exodus 16:18 ESV)

“But seek first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.” (Matthew 6:33 ESV)

We want things. I must say that I find no fault in having nice things that the Lord was provident enough to bless us with. Yet, at the end of my days I do not want to have to look back upon my life and say: “I couldn’t give to others as much as I would have liked because I was too busy pursuing the things of the world.” I don’t want to have to say: “I sought the pleasures of the world, which stole my attention from the heart of God instead of seeking his goodness and finding him sufficient.” Or: “I pursued good things that the Lord desired to bless me with, and worshiped them instead of worshiping the sovereign Giver.”

May we, in all things, seek him first, and find ourselves complete. Should you be a skeptic, than test these words. Be true to yourself. Does this world TRULY fill you? Seek him, and find out. Should you be a believer, then may you pursue him in holiness and grace, and never allow his gifts to supercede him himself. Study the word, and in it find truth.

He is good. He is good. He is good.

May the Word move in you, and through you.

To Him be the glory,

-Matt Alen


No comments:

Post a Comment