Thursday, September 2, 2010

Movement.

Simply put, this post is going to take a brief departure from the route that I've been taking in my writing, and so I pray you will still find it appealing and enjoyable. I pray that, having read these words will impulse you to action, to steadfastness, and to love. Please give me your thoughts!

"What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice." (Philippians 1:17 ESV)

This past Monday night I made the hundred mile drive to Waco, Texas to attend Vertical Ministries led by Afshin Ziafat.

(See his story here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0XvEaVcf3A&feature=related)

I've known Afshin for a couple years, and am always absolutely moved by the words the Spirit leads him to, and couldn't miss the chance to worship with Shane and Shane.

Needless to say, I made the trek.

Upon realizing I needed gas, I pulled into the closest Chevron I saw and proceeded to run inside to make payment for the gas and to purchase a Five-Hour Energy for the ride home. As I was walking back to my car, a man driving an old beat up Ford Taurus drove in front of my car, perpendicular to it sitting at the pump. Being night, and traveling alone I was a bit wary as he called out:

"Hey... sir?"

His car was indeed old. Tan. And old. The driver side mirror was missing, and it seemed as if the vehicle had sat near one too many little league batting practices. As I approached the vehicle I saw not only a weary looking man in his mid-thirties or so, but also his three year old son, whom barely looked big enough to be sitting in the front seat. The back seat could not hold him though, for it was full of belongings.

"Hey man, what's going on?", I respond.
"Is there any way you can point us in the direction of Buda?"

Knowing all too well the drive from Dallas to San Antonio, I knew that Buda was a city south of Austin, to which I gave him brief directions continuing down I-35.

His next words have stayed with me, and still cut deep. Brian, the man's son, had sported an amazingly bright child-like smile until this point in our encounter. Often, as we meet others in this lifetime whom need a bit of help navigating through this world, we find it easy to question their motives. Often we are unsure of their integrity, or their story, or if we are truly being of assistance or funding a beer jar. The conviction on this three year olds face spoke to me of the validity of the story that his father proceeded to tell.

"Awesome! Thanks so much!... I hate to ask, but... See this is Brian, and within the past week or so, our home has become a dangerous place for us to be..."

At this point, Brian had stopped smiling, and with somber expression simply nodded...

Also, I think at this point I may have been so moved because, whether I remember it or not, at one point of my life, I was that little boy.

"My wife has been struggling with addiction problems, and we just needed to get out. We're headed to my parents house in Buda, but only have a quarter tank to get there... Do you think there is any way you could help us with some gas?"

I immediately told him to pull up to a pump before I changed my mind. His integrity was confirmed to me as his three year old boy gave me a high five and said thank you. He also stated:

"Please, we don't need a full tank. Just enough to get us there..."

At this point I was finally able to get a couple words in, and stated:

"I have been given much from a man named Jesus. And in Him I live, and love, and give. It's my joy to give to you because I've been given to, and in it I hope you are blessed."

I put $15 dollars in his tank and asked if I could pray over him and his boy. He said yes, and yes please. I spoke over them words of the scripture, and prayed for protection, and providence and peace. Above all, I prayed, that the Lord would be glorified and shown through the situation. Upon ending the prayer, I received one more high-five from Brian, and parted ways with the two as they headed down to Buda.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Truth is, I may never truly know if the man was telling the truth. I may never know if they made it to Buda, or if Buda was ever truly the destination.

Above all, the gospel moved.

I was able to participate in an event in which the name Jesus was spoken, and his cross glorified. Therefore, it matters not what the grounds were, nor the reason spoken. The gospel MOVED, and in the end, I find this fulfilling.

Should you be a skeptic, I am not convinced that increased knowledge and understanding shall ever be enough of an eye opener to reveal your eyes to the gospel of grace. Until then, I will be praying fervently for people of faith full of love that care for you more then themselves. For Christ cared more for you more then he cared for himself, (
See: The cross)
and believe it or not, his church is supposed to do as he did.

Should you be a believer. Be an active catalyst in MOVING the gospel. For any and every reason. Under any circumstance, may his gift and grace be breathed from you in word and deed. May you seek to see from his eyes, and live in such a way that says: "Whatever, wherever, whenever. I want Jesus."

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." (Hebrews 13:2 ESV)

May the word move in you, and through you.

To Him be the glory,

-Matt Allen

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff, Matt. Good stuff. I like that - THE GOSPEL MOVED. It wasn't about anything else, about the other person's integrity. It's about our integrity, our devotion to glorifying Jesus in every situation. Thanks.

    Also - 5 Hour Energy? Really? How could you...? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this Matt. I hope to have more time later to look at some more of your post. Your generation needs a light...keep on shinin’ and movin’ the Gospel!
    Jace’s mom,
    Shonni

    ReplyDelete