Monday, November 1, 2010

SIn.

I promise you that you will not enjoy reading this. I would almost bet on it. Not because it will be poorly written, not because you will find it untrue, but moreover because I believe that the truth herein will convict deeply, even to the nonbeliever or skeptic who finds themselves standing far from the cross of Christ, or even warring against it, throwing pebbles at it from the distance. Here we go.

You are evil. I am evil. WE are evil. There seems to be this ongoing, ridiculous debate about the state of the heart of man. Is man mostly good, or mostly evil? The very debate itself, at it's core is downright ludicrous, and is truly nothing but an exposition of the deep and deepening depravity of man. The corruption of the heart in seen is the eyes of a toddler who has been raised in the best loving, caring, and protecting family long before he has even had the ability to become a "victim or circumstance". Understanding the word "no" when it is spoken to him, his flesh, his NATURE says "yes". Test it. Tell a three year old they can't have a cookie, and then sneak around the corner and watch them steal it off the plate.

"As it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one;" (Romans 3:10 ESV)

This excuses us not from seeking, pursuing, and chasing righteousness. This exists a sharp contrast between being righteous, and living within it. As we stand, by our nature, we are evil. We're not righteous, we're not clean, and outside of the pursuit and active cleansing of God we are not holy. If you disagree, remain extremely cognizant of your thought life, just for a day. You and I have thoughts that would land us in jail, leave us friendless, lifeless, and and outcast if ever spoken, or acted upon. Then pay attention to what you actually DO. Watch how you treat people: friends and family, the baristas at Starbucks and the people driving cars in front of you. You, I, we, are not clean. Admit it. To fight it, to run from this fact, to oppose it will leave you standing on your own power, which in the end will find you on your back, reaching up and crying for help from anything greater than yourself.

"And you were DEAD in your trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of the world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience." (Ephesians 2:1-2 ESV)

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)

"All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned-every one- to his own way." (Isaiah 53:6a)

Here's one that has absolutely been wrecking my life:

"For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin." Romans 14:23b

Read that last one again, and then let it sink in.

This one for me is two fold. One. Even in my pursuit of righteousness, my pursuit of holiness and sanctification I sin a lot. In fact, I've probably sinned much, unknowingly, even while writing this post! Anything that derives not from faith is SIN! I sin when I walk into WalMart and rent a movie, and don't consistently, constantly, and continually make my life, my days, and seconds about faith. I sin as I walk, and fail to see from the eyes of Christ. I sin as I live apathetically and without mission and purpose. I. Am. Evil. Yet the flip side to the coin is this, and here is where I'm sure I'm going to get in trouble.

If you don't know Christ as the risen Savior and Lord then ALL that you do is sin. Everything. If it doesn't derive from faith that you don't have you're sinning. You're sinning as you read this. You're sinning as you go to the lake, you're sinning sitting in class. You're sinning reading stories to your kids, and helping the old lady across the street. You are evil. I am evil. We are evil.

There is good news, I promise. The best. You and I, who are lost and confused, evil, depraved, twisted and are by nature objects of wrath, (Ephesians 2:3) who are unable to see the light of the glory of the gospel of Christ (2 Corinthians 4:1-6) have hope. The fact that our own depravity blinds us from his divinity keeps him not from revealing himself to us and shining the light of his knowledge into our hearts.

"But God, being rich in mercy because he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ-by grace you have been saved." (Ephesians 2:4-5 ESV)

"but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ dies for us." (Romans 5:8 ESV)

Our hope is Christ, hung on the tree who purchased for us, with his blood, grace, life, peace, faith, hope and love. Without him we are hopeless. You are evil. Yet in him, and him alone does his substitutionary atonement make you clean in the eyes of a holy and blameless Father. (Ephesians 1:3-6)

Should you be a skeptic: Sorry this one was rough, and I pray you hear it not in judgement. I pray that I made it clear that I am just as hopeless and evil as I said you are. I challenge to see what happens should you accept this. The state of your heart being clear, in light of the perfect divine, is there anyway your "good works" can save you?

Should you be a believer, your good works don't define you, grace does. In light of Romans 14:23 I think you would be hard pressed to even call your "good works" good works. His commandments are not burdensome. (1 John 5:3) Own up. We are not, you are not perfect. This, again, excuses us not from our pursuit of holiness. Yet, within that pursuit never place legalistic action above the God who calls us to work hard that it may glorify him. You are his, your deeds are his, and your glory is his. May you stand on his grace, and be desperate for it.

May the Word move in you, and through you.

To Him be the glory.

-Matt Allen

1 comment:

  1. Hey Matt!
    This whole thing is absolutely true. But I have one question. God also says to enjoy yourself. So what I'm asking is if I'm working on a puzzle or doing stuff with my family, or doing things that aren't bad that I enjoy, God doesn't want me doing it? I don't mean for this to sound selfish. I just don't understand what you are trying to say. Please write me a message on facebook. Thanks.
    Candace =D

    p.s.- really awesome stuff!!!!

    ReplyDelete